141 MAPLE TREE HILL ROAD Boxwood Glen
ca.
1740 (1976 #55)

The property at 141 Maple Tree
Hill Road is reputed to have
been a dairy farm, with apple orchards, a cider
mill, and
possibly a sawmill prior to the
1930s. Originally sited on
eighty-eight acres, the house is said
to date back to the 1740s. In 1869, it was owned by G. T. Stoddard.
Records show that Justin
LaBorde and his wife Claire
purchased the farm from Charles B. Johnson and Mary A. Hendryx
in the early 1900s, living there
with their five children. The LaBordes were immigrants from the Alsace Lorraine region of France.
In 1937,
the
farm was sold to Dr. Raphael Kurzrok, who renovated the
home
but
preserved much
of its
design by keeping the 12-over-12 windows. He also saved the wide-plank chestnut flooring and
the original colonial fireplace with a baking oven on the
left
side. The house has a center chimney, with five fireplaces spanning two floors, along with
another fire- place in the basement. The original summer kitchen
was converted into the main living room
and an en- closed porch was added to the rear of the house.
Dr. Kurzrok expanded the dairy farm and the orchards, adding several other structures including horse barns which have since been converted into homes. He and his
wife were avid gardeners, planting signature trees and the “boxwood secret garden” from which the house
takes its name. After Dr. Kurzrok’s
death in 1963,
the property
was
subdivided.
Since purchasing Boxwood Glen in 2006,
Ron and Judy Benson have
continued to restore and to research the house.